Have you ever really thought about what you are actually putting on your skin whenever you wash your face, moisturise or shower? Well, there is a way you can see what is actually in the products that you use every day. But you need to Think Dirty.
What am I talking about?
Think Dirty – the app
From the website it says:
Think Dirty® is a project born out of a personal journey to understand the truths in the beauty industry. Due to a family history of cancer, I decided to research into the many causes behind breast cancer, including ‘toxic’ ingredients in cosmetic and personal care products.
Think Dirty® empowers and educates the consumer on the cosmetics industry by allowing them to make an informed decision on what products to purchase. In 2012, Think Dirty® won the It’s a Start Competition Grand Prize by Digifest Toronto. The mobile app launched in Summer 2013 with more than 68,300 products listed.
So how does it work?
You simply scan the barcode of the product you want into the app using the camera on your phone. The app then scans through their database and feeds back a rating from 0 – 10 with 0 being completely safe and 10 being the least safe.
You can also save your favourite products to your own bathroom shelf so you can see quickly which of your products are safe to use daily.
You can also shop through the app, but this option doesn’t always give you the best value products or lowest prices as they are using affiliate links to fund their app.
- Allows you to quickly check that the products you are using are safe
- Highlights the ones to avoid
- It shows you new and better options for the products you use that have nasties in them
- You get an in-depth look at the ingredients, giving you a summary of what makes them toxic and where it is used.
- The camera on the app sometime’s doesn’t catch the barcode and you have to rescan a few times
- There are a lot of products that aren’t in the system yet. You can add them but that doesn’t help if you want to buy the product there and then.
- The affiliate links don’t always show the cheapest place to buy the products.
Overall, this app is perfect for anyone who wants to know more about the products they use or want to make better choices over the products they do use.
Alternatively, you can make your own products and know exactly what you are putting into them.